The OWASP mobile top 10 is a very comprehensive list that helps in highlighting the security flaws as well as vulnerabilities which the developers need to address and take care of so that applications can be protected all the time and there is no issue in the long run. These kinds of applications normally look very much safe and secure but actually, they are not which is the main reason that it is much important for the developers to pay proper attention to all the security risks so that perfect applications can be launched in the market all the time. This particular list has been founded in the year 2001 and is developed by the committee of developers who help in making sure the best of the technologies in the whole field have been launched so that proper awareness can be created about the security threats and there is no issue in the long run. Following is the complete bifurcation of the OWASP top 10 mobile application security risks list:
- The improper platform usage: This particular risk deals with wrong usage of the operating system along with the failure of the platform security controls so that all these kinds of things can be dealt with perfectly. The improper platform usage risk includes the data leakage, android sniffing and the iOS keychain risk so that vulnerabilities can be dealt with perfectly and there is no issue in the long run. The best of the practice is to avoid these kinds of risks is to involve in android intent-based practices, android intent sniffing practices and the iOS keychain based practices.
- The insecure data storage: This particular point deals with adversity into the whole process and ensures that third-party application directories are dealt with perfectly. These kinds of risks include the basic and the compromised file system and the exploitation of the entire unsecured data. The best of the practice is to avoid all these kinds of things include the android debug Bridge and the iGoatiOS along with browser cookies management and server communication so that traffic can be perfectly sent to the third parties and there is no issue.
- The insecure communication: These kinds of risks include the risk associated with stealing of the information and the man in the middle attacks. It also includes the admin account compromise which can be perfectly dealt with the usage of best possible practices for example network clear, SSL sessions, the establishment of a secure connection and several other kinds of associated things so that defensive policies can be perfectly implemented.
- The insecure authentication: These kinds of risks include the basic input form factors and the insecure user credentials and this is normally possible in all the cases where the applications have been not properly authenticated. Hence, to deal with all these kinds of things the companies need to indulge into proper security protocols along with only authentication methods so that persistent authentication request can be taken complete advantage of and device entry authorisation token can also be implemented The two-factor authentication method is gaining a lot of popularity in this particular field.
- The insufficient cryptography: Such risks include the stealing of applications and user data along with access to encrypted files. Hence, the best of the practices include a choice of modern encryption algorithms and the developers need to keep an eye on the document so that emerging threats are perfectly handled.
- The insecure authorisation: These kinds of risks include the IDOR access along with on regulated access to admin endpoints so that things can be perfectly dealt and leakages can be taken complete advantage of. The top-notch practices can be considered as running of authorisation checks for different kinds of roles and permissions of the authenticated user so that functionalities can be reduced and mobile verification devices can be perfectly undertaken by the people concerned.
- The poor quality code: This particular risk includes the compromises and into the mobiles based upon safe web code, client input security and the lacuna into the third-party libraries. The best practices of all these kind of things include the mobile-specific code, static analysis and the basic library version related things so that unauthorised access can be prevented at the very first instance.
- The code tempering: These kinds of risks include the malware infusion and the data theft related things so that third-party libraries can be taken complete advantage of and there is no issue in the long run. The steering of user information can also be dealt with this particular point and the best of the practices include implementation of runtime protection and checksum changes. Data erasure is another practice that can be perfectly implemented to ensure that hackers are not able to gain the advantage or control over the application.
- The reverse engineering: This particular risk includes the code stealing and having the unauthorized access to the premium features along with the random inspection into the runtime. The server ability to detect the jailbroken code has also been discussed in this particular point. Hence, utilisation of the similar tools and the code obfuscation along with the implementation of the best possible office languages is the best possible idea of dealing with all such things and ensuring proper practices as well as security at the end of the whole scenario.
- The extraneous functionality: This particular point deals with an application which is ready for production and the development team also needs to have proper access to the backend servers. It is very important to deal with all these kinds of things and the best of the practices include that ensuring none of the tests has been present into the final build, ensuring none of the hidden switches is there, ensuring that full system logs are taken complete advantage and ensuring that there are no advisory contacts in the whole process.
Hence, taking care of all the above-mentioned points will always allow the organisations to manage everything perfectly and ensure that applications are protected in a very robust manner because these kinds of systems always provide the organisations with a proper intuitive dashboard so that they can analyse potential threats perfectly.